Tag Archives: Early Glenwood

Mr. Rue’s or Mr. Airs’ House

This week’s photo is “Residences at Mr. Rue’s at the Sulfur Springs” from 1876. According to J.G. Whittemore in 1940, “This was Stilman Ayres’ home on the hill north of Glenwood Fish Hatchery. I remember this place years ago when the … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Mr. Blodgett’s House

This week’s photo is “Residence of Mr. Blodget” from 1876. “Barett E. Blodgett’s home located south of N.P. Hill. Today (1940) the Owen’s home stand there and is occupied by John Cassidy. Pictured are Mr. & Mrs. Blogett and Children, … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Mrs. Rising’s House

This week’s photograph shows the “Residence of Mrs. Rising’s” from 1876. According to J.G. Whittemore in 1940: “Mrs. H. E. Rising’s home located on Lot 10 Block 20 of the original plat of Glenwood. Remodeled by James Atckinson it is … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Mr. Lathrop’s House

This week’s photo is “Residence of Mr. Lathrop’s” from 1876. This house stood on Lot 8 Block 28. That is to say -the north side of 2nd Ave SW between 1st and 2nd streets, very close to the city park. In … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Simmons’ House

This photograph shows the “Residence of John Simmons” from 1876. It was located on lots 4 & 5 of block 30., which is the south east corner at the intersection of 2nd Avenue and 2nd street SW, across the street … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Dr. Whittemore’s House

This photograph shows the “Residence of Dr. Whittemore” from 1876. The home was built in 1870 on lots 6 & 7 of block 35 – where Ridgewood Villa is today. According to J.G. Whittemore in 1940: Dr. Whittemore is on … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Stanley’s Horse Shoe Shop

This week’s photo in the series of Glenwood Photographs taken in 1876 by N.J. Trenham, is “Stanley’s Shop.”. James Stanley had a backsmith shop at the southwest corner of Minnesota Avenue and 1st Street SE. (Lot 1 block 24) Ogdahl, Wangsness … Continue reading

Posted in Local History | Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments