This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Village Inn / Furtney building – 23 South Franklin Street
Joseph Furtney was an engineer for the Soo Line engineer who went into contracting after his retirement. He built this building in 1911.
Pre 1905 fire, the corner was occupied by H.G. Andrews, photographer; Eliason’s Cigar Factory and John Aune, Furniture.
The new Furtney building was occupied by Berry & Toombs furniture and undertaking, Boston Café, Wilkman Hardware, Birney’s Cafe and the Village Café from around 1968 – now known as the Village Inn.
(He also built the Hirschman Building (formerly occupied by Trumm Drug), the McNitt Building, the flats and several lakeshore homes. His 18 room lakeshore house on Furtney beach, (South Lakeshore Drive) served as a boarding house, a summer hotel, and Glenwood’s first Hospital.)