This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church – 122 North Franklin Street
Sacred Heart Catholic Church was organized in 1903.
According to Mildred Karrigan Lachelt, immigrants from Donegal Ireland were the first Catholics to settle in the county. Families such as the Jeffers, Gaffaneys, Hogans and Hoffmans. Until 1903, the Irish Catholics attended services in Villard, and occasionally in private homes.
The grounds were purchased in 1887, and by 1903, sufficient funds and interest were available to construct the first church. Prominient families involved included: Atkinson, Burns, Callaghan, Fleming, Malloy, McCauley, Mannin, McLachlan, Nugent, Padden Hanrahan and Helbing.
The first church building was across the street from what is now Central Square. The building is still standing, but has been converted into apartments.
Calvary Cemetery was purchased in 1930.
In 1935, the congregation constructed a basement church and held services there until the superstructure of the current church was completed in 1952.
The rectory was built in 1957 on property was the site of the first school in Glenwood. (The school was built in 1898 – burned in 1872.)
The Parish center was built in 1968.