This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Law office / Bank– 14 South Franklin Street
Currently occupied by the law office of Nelson, Kuhn & Nordmeyer, this building was constructed in 1906 to house the Pope County State Bank.
The bank is a spin off of the Fremad Association. Michael Wollan of the Fremad was often asked to hold money for farmers who were nervous about keeping it at home. He also ended up loaning people money and eventually ended up conducting more and more bank-like activities.
They formed the Fremad Association bank in 1901, later called the Pope County Bank (Now Eagle Bank), opening the new building in 1906 or 1908. They applied for a charter and were incorporated as Pope County State Bank in 1908.
The building is a two-story brick commercial structure with a Neb-Classical Revival facade on its Franklin Avenue side. The gray concrete facade features a parapet broken by a dentillated pediment over a dentillated cornice. The frieze below the cornice carries the word “Bank” in relief and a narrow egg-and-dart molding. The balance of the facade consists of two square pillars at either end and two round columns equally spaced at the center, all utilizing an egg-and-dart capital motif.
This building is on the National Register of Historic Places. Click HERE to read the application.