This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Glenwood Theatre / 2nd McCauley Opera House built in 1918
The McCauley Opera House / Glenwood Theatre opened on December 18, 1919. Built by J.H. McCauley, at a cost of $50,000, it featured the most modern technology in stage equipment and audience comfort. The entirely fireproof building boasted 784 seats; 552 on the parquet, 140 on the first balcony and 90 on the second balcony. Artistic interior
painting in buff, cream and gilt was done by George Hogan of Morris. Stage scenery, painted by Mr. Steece of Bismarck, ND., was so arranged that it raised or lowered on rollers from the top. The opening performance included an introductory Fatty Arbuckle cartoon, and the feature film “Daddy Longlegs” starring Mary Pickford. Casson Bros. Orchestra of Minneapolis played through the whole performance. Miss McCauley and Alert Larson also sang solos. “Their music was very much appreciated by the audience. Both of these singers have been heard by Glenwood audiences and their performance on this occasion was up to their usual high standard.”
The Glenwood Theatre continued to host touring productions and high school plays, and showed movies through 1989. For most of its history, it was run by the Longaker family (1930-1972). One of the last live performances was Bob Bergman’s concert in 1982. The last movie was “Dead Poets Society” in November 1989. The Glenwood Theatre was razed in 1995.