This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Fremad Buildng – 20 South Franklin Street
In about 1872, Michael and Casper Wollan moved from just north of Starbuck to Glenwood to take advantage of the coming N.P. Railroad. Michael and Casper bought an existing hardware store in Glenwood, but by 1874, they moved to a larger store and expanded its offerings.
They also became a stock company. This was the age of the Grange agitation and many people wished to have a type of co-operative store in Glenwood. The Wollans instead offered stock to members of the community who wished to co-operate with them. The organization of stockholders was known as the Fremad Association. (Fremad is the Norwegian word for “forward” or “onward”.)
The Fremad Association was located on the corner of Franklin and Green (1st Ave) streets SW. Lot 10 of Block 23 of the original plat of Glenwood. In 1893 this building was moved to the west and a larger building was constructed. The new building was also wooden, but with a brick facade.
The 1893 building still stands today – with its second brick facade, but may not be standing much longer as it has gone into tax forfeiture. This building, and the attached bank building (now Nelson, Kuhn & Nordmeyer law office) are on the National Registry of historic places. Pope County State Bank (now Eagle Bank) was a spin off of the Fremad Association. The history of the organizations links the buildings together. They are also physically linked together, as the stairs to the upper floor of the bank building are actually INSIDE the Fremad building.