This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Eagle Bank Plaza – 2 Franklin Street South
Pope County State Bank, now known as Eagle Bank is Glenwood’s oldest bank. (Click HERE for information on original bank building for more information on the history of the institution.) This building was built in 1971. One of the new features of this building was Pope County’s first drive up teller window. A second teller lane was added in October 1983. The now familiar corner electronic sign was installed in early August 1976. It was constructed by local company, Clyde Machines.
This has been an important corner throughout Glenwood’s History. The first building on this site was the third building in all of Glenwood. The log cabin built by George Rue was used as a home, a hotel and a grocery & patent medicine store. Old timers recollected a time when the large structure in the back of the store was used as a hotel.
The building was torn down in 1883 to make room for the Minton Hotel, which stood on this site from 1883-1970.
The original 1883 building of the “Minnewaska Hotel” was moved west to become the kitchen and dining room in 1884 and a larger hotel was constructed in the front. In 1889, Frank Minton bought it and changed the name to Minton House. The name Minton followed the building through many different owners.
In 1911, the building underwent significant renovations, adding upper stories to the back building, bringing the entire structure to three stories. There were 49 rooms, 9 with bathrooms, but every room had running hot and cold “Glenwood Spring Water”. Businesses on the ground floor included Rudy Kreb’s Investment office, Corner Drug. Municipal Liquor Store, Lund Accounting.
The Minton was torn down in 1970 to make room for Eagle Bank and Bank Plaza. The plaza has been used for many community events over the years.
Corner Drug moved to the opposite corner of the intersection.