This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Theresa’s Turn Bakery – 1 North Franklin Street
Originally built to house the First National Bank of Glenwood, this building has been a bakery since 1950.
An article in the October 21, 1904 edition of the Glenwood Herald announced that a charter had been granted to for a National Bank in Glenwood. The principal shareholders of the new First National Bank of Glenwood were P. Peterson, Alba Webster and W.F. Dougherty (Formerly of the Bank of Glenwood).
The bank closed and was re-organized in 1924, then a run on the bank forced it to close its doors in June of 1926, by August it was in liquidation proceedings. It was one of many banks that failed in the 1920s. On average 600 banks closed each year from 1921-1929.
After the bank closed, the building was used by the Tip Top Café, and became a bakery in 1950. It has remained a bakery ever since. Currently, it is Theresa’s Turn Bakery.