This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Lane / Zalkind– ½ bank ½ Lane – 13 East Minnesota Avenue
Built by Monroe Zalkind in 1917 and was used continuously as a clothing store until 1996.
Here is a brief history of the clothing store on that site:
Sam Zelken/Zalkind owned a men’s clothing store from 1917 to 1933.
1933 – St. Clair, Crumb & Irgens owned the shop
In 1969 it was sold to Victor Johnson and Charles Bullock who owned Johnson & Bullock until Vic’s death in 1996.
Upstairs housed Lindquist photography and then Voss studio in the late 1930s and early 1940s.
Now the home of Lane Studios and the Coffee Studio.
The left half of the building held E.E. Kruger Drugs, Ben Franklin Store from 1935-1947, Meyer’s Shoes from 1961-96, the Pope County License Bureau, and now Glenwood State Bank.