This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Palmer Creations – 107 East Minnesota Avenue
The Palmer Creations building was constructed in 1968. It originally housed the Minnesota Gas Company from 1968-1977, Town and Country Clothing, and finally by Glacial Printing & Office Supply. Palmer Creations bought the building and expanded the printing business in 2013.
The earliest building on this site was Bartke Hall, one of the first buildings in Glenwood. It was Daniel Bartke’s residence and Drug Store. The upper story was used as a public hall, often used for dances and billiards, and even served as temporary school rooms in 1873 when the first schoolhouse burned down. In it was converted into the Glenwood Hotel in or around 1879. Martin Ward purchased the building in the 1885 and it became known as the Ward Hotel or Glenwood House. Wards expanded the 2 story building into a three story hotel with 2 verandas, a salesmen sample room, and a large dining room and kitchen. It was a very fine hotel for its day. The building was torn down in 1947. The lot stood empty until 1968, when the current building was constructed.