This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Our stately Pope County Courthouse was built in 1929 replacing an earlier 1879 brick structure on Courthouse Square – a full city block donated by Kirk J. Kinney.
Kinney, together with Alfred Lathrop, laid out the village of Glenwood in 1866.
The 1930 dedication of the Courthouse was a three day event of parades and historical pageants.
The Courthouse was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. A new law enforcement wing was added in 1983 and expanded in 2010/2011 and the front entrance was restored in 2012.
The flat-roofed structure is composed of a central three story section flanked by two slightly shorter side sections. Exterior surfaces are of light colored brick and Bedford, Indiana stone. A 1930’s version of Beaux Arts-
Classicism, the building features three bays on the center section divided by pairs of engaged pilasters, a dentillated cornice with a wide frieze carrying the legend “Built to Perpetuate Civic Order and Justice”, and a decorative architrave surmounted by a name and date panel at the central a entrance. Stone is also utilized as the water table and wall material for the ground floor of the building. Fenestration is symmetrical, with second and third story windows of the side sections linked vertically by placement in recessed panels. Decorative metal work includes grilles on the panels and transom of the main entrance,” and circular light standards flanking the entrance. Interior surfaces utilize Vermont marble, terrazzo, sculptured plasterwork, and specially designed metal stair rails. Both the interior and the exterior have retained a high degree of integrity. – National Register application.
Click here for information on Pope County’s earlier courthouses.