This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Ridgewood Villa is an independent living campus in Glenwood, MN operated by Glacial Ridge Health Systems. Apartment residents are served lunch every day and breakfast on weekdays in the dining room and have options for additional assistance if needed. It first opened in 1988 and is currently undergoing expansion. “The Villa” is more than doubling in size and adding some exciting amenities including Glacial Ridge Wellness Center with an exercise pool, and Trumm Drug Pharmacy & Gift Shop. It is expected to be open in the fall of 2016. Trumm Drug has opened in this location as of May 31, 2016. *Update – October 2016*
Trumm Drug is now open and operating in the Southwest corner of Ridgewood Villa. The Glacial Ridge Health and Fitness Center occupies the Northwest corner.
The first structure on this site was a house belonging to Dr. James Gooch Whittemore. (Follow the link to learn more about this interesting man.) The house stood where Trumm Drug is now on the southwest corner of the block.
For many years, most of the block was used as an athletic field for Glenwood High School.
The Glenwood Community Hospital was dedicated on February 18, 1940. It has undergone many expansions and changes through the years.
Today’s Glacial Ridge Health System continues to deliver babies, care for the sick and injured and
comfort the dying. While some things remain the same, most of the technology used today would be unrecognizable in 1940. CT scans, Mamograms, 3D Ultasounds, advanced lab tests, an expanded arsenal of medication, surgical and therapy options have improved patient care. There are 16 doctors/nurse practitioners on staff and 30 specialists who visit the hospital regularly to see and treat patients.
*Update October 2016* The hospital has purchased the land to the South that was formerly occupied by Lakeview Care Center and is expanding yet again. Construction is well underway.
The first hospital in Glenwood was established in September 1912 (Starbuck had it’s first hospital 1900 and had built a community hospital in 1912) when Dr. Eberlin and Dr. Elsey rented the “Furtney House” along Lake Minnewaska in September of 1912 to turn it into a hospital. Miss Wiese of Elbow Lake was hired as nurse and Miss Boyd of Oakdale, IL was hired as a helper. The hospital operated in this house until 1916.
In 1916, the doctors purchased the “Fjelstad House” in on Minnesota Avenue and operated the hospital there until 1939 when the “new” modern brick hospital was constructed. Click here for images of the early hospitals.