This post is part of a collection of posts written in 2016 for Glenwood’s 150 year celebration. To see the map and full list of locations included in the walking tour, click here.
Calmeyer / Wagner House – 128 2nd Avenue SW.
Built in 1896, for Fred Calmeyer by contractor Jake Wallen, the home features oak woodwork and hard maple floors. The turret on the third floor was originally used as a workout room by the first owner’s son.
An article in the Glenwood Herald in September 1897 describes this house as follows:
“On the south and west is a wide veranda supported by substantial posts and opening in the north into the dining room and into the vestibule on the west. From the vestibule one enters the reception hall, the outer and inner doors being fitted with a handsome bronze vestibule set of locks and opened with one key. Opening off to the right of the reception hall is a convenient alcove, while large folding doors separate the parlor on the left from the reception hall. A dining room, kitchen, pantry and two closets, one for china and the other for post and kettles completes the list of the rooms in the first story, all of the floors being of hard maple, while the woodwork is of polished oak. The reception hall and parlor have each a large imported rug in the center, the parlor being furnished with unique upholstered cherry furniture. In one corner of the parlor is a handsome fireplace supplied with paten ash dump and surmounted by a mantel and fine mirror, while opening on the veranda are several large windows.
In the kitchen the walls are finished in oil, and an improved range supplied with a coil and tank for heating water is the pride of Mrs. Calmeyer.
From the reception hall, stairs lead to the second story, where are found four bedrooms, a linen closet and bath room. Every room is provided with one or more closets and is fitted up according to the individual taste of the occupant.
Perfect ventilation is insured by ventilation tubes from each room to chimney. The garret in the third story afford plenty of storage room and there Johnny (Fred Calmeyer’s son) also has his gymnasium, with a hammock, punching bag and boxing gloves.
The house is provided with electric lights, with handsome globes in the reception hall and at the head of the stairs, and an abundant supply of heat will be furnished by and improved furnace, located in the basement, which has the capacity to heat one-third more space than is demanded of it here. The registers are patent electroplated and all in the walls of the various rooms.
In the choice of wallpaper, good taste was shown in selecting patterns suited to the different rooms, no two patterns being alike. All the details in the construction of the house show thought and care not to get something showy but by the use of the very best quality of everything to make it a substantial and durable home in which Mr. and Mrs. Calmeyer may enjoy the latter years of their life, and they have succeeded admirably in their endeavor.
The house barn and out-buildings are painted alike in light gray trimmed with straw color, which makes a very pleasing combination. The exterior beauty of the house is enhanced by a turret in the south west corner, while the gables are finished off with diamond cedar shingles. Altogether it is a residence of which Mr. Calmeyer may well feel proud, and which is a credit to Glenwood as well.”
It was also called the Hershman house. George Hershman had a department store at the
corner of Minnesota Avenue and Franklin Street, in the building currently (2016) occupied by Trumm Drug.