This week’s photo in the series of Glenwood Photographs taken in 1876 by N.J. Trenham, is the “Emerson & Tollefson’s Store.” It is was located on the south west corner of Franklin Street and 1st Avenue SW. American Solutions for Business has an office there today in the old Larson Furniture Building.
According to J.G. Whittemore in 1940, the men in the photo are: N.W. Scott, Andrew Emerson and Mr. Tollefson.
The second school is in the background.
An article in the March 11, 1876 Pope County Press has this to say about the store: “Emmerson & Tollefson are a new firm in the general merchandise trade, and their business is reported to be rapidly increasing. It is their first mercantile adventure.They are both excellent men and have the wish of the Advertiser for success.”